Environment Management Measure
KPCL’s power generation blueprint has a clear-cut policy on environment management. Building in green-mapping concepts such as sustainable development , which creates the framework for improving the quality of life. sustainable development goes hand-in-hand with ‘environment protection’
KPCL has a comprehensive action plan in place that enables environment management, pollution monitoring and the implementation of specific environment projects.
All KPCL projects have the assurance of a comprehensive Environmental Impact Study to evaluate the impact of the project on the environment. It also prepares an Environmental Management Plan complying with all the conditions stipulated by KSPCB/MOEF.
KPCL’s Raichur Thermal Power Station has been accredited with ISO 14001 -2004 for its efforts towards environment protection management.
The following innovative and new measures to aid the process of environment control have been put in place :
- A unique Ayurvedic greenhouse has been developed at Kadra Project.
- Fish fingerlings in power generation reservoirs to maintain aqua-balance.
- Eco-friendly control measures adopted such as controlled blasting.
- Construction of colonies with least destruction to ecology.
- Installation of Electro Static Precipitators in Thermal Plants.
- Measures across the board to minimize pollution.
- Fuel supply agreement with collieries to ensure high grade coal supplies.
- Monitoring measures for ash minimisation, ash emission control, ash utilisation and ash disposal.
- Recycling of water from ash ponds for alternative use.
- Modernisation of sewerage treatment plant.
- Continuous monitoring of air quality in work environments & environment management measures.
Fly Ash Initiatives
- MOEF/GOI has stipulated utilisation of 100% Fly Ash generated at Thermal power stations for manufacturing ash based products like Bricks, Asbestos sheets, Embankments, Dams and Dykes. Fly Ash is issued free of cost
- The approximate quantity of Fly Ash generated at Raichur Thermal Power Station from 7 units for the year 2004-05 is 16.0 lakh MT
- RTPS has the distinction of utilizing approx. 60 to 65% of Fly Ash in a year
- Total coal consumed during 2004 – 2005 69.10 lakh tonnes
- Ash content – 22.02 lakh tonnes
- (weighted ash content 31.73 %)
- Fly ash (80%) 16.0 lakh tonnes
- Bottom ash (20%) 4.40 lakh tonnes
- Fly ash utilization(65%) 10.37 lakh tonnes
- Initiatives to utilize maximum Fly Ash from RTPS :
o The Flyash is being transported through specially designed closed tankers by road
o MOU between KPCL and major cement companies like ACC and ARV is under finalization for transportation of fly ash by rail in closed railway wagons to enhance the utilization
o Fly ash has been issued to many SSI units for manufacture of Flyash bricks, asbestos sheets etc.
o Established an R&D centre in 2002 with Norwegian aid for the utilization of Flyash in the manufacture of ash based products.
o Associated with the university of Agricultural Sciences, Raichur by extending financial aid for carrying out R&D on utilization of Fly ash in the agricultural sector.
o Pond ash is being used for construction of roads.
o Fly ash bricks utilized for construction of houses and station buildin
The project concerning afforestation and green belt development around the Bellary Thermal Plant has been entrusted to UAS Dharwar. The afforestation work was planned ahead of the project commencement and of the entire 220 hectare landscape, close to 50 % has already been covered under the programme. This affirms KPCL’s commitment for protecting the surrounding environment.
Updated On:20.06.2014 11:06:51